Monday, July 6, 2009


So lately I've been getting the following error in all browsers except Chrome when I try to configure blocks and views:

Needless to say, it's very annoying as it slows down an already slow process. I can choose either option and the page loads fine, so I guess it could be worse.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot the issue and the insanity that ensued:

  1. Upgraded to Drupal 6.13 and upgraded all modules to the most recent version. This went very smoothly, but didn't fix the issue

  2. Changed theme to default to see if the theme was responsible. Nope.

  3. Disabled ALL contributed modules to see if this removed the error. Yes. So I knew it was a contributed module that did this.

  4. Re-enabled contributed modules one by one to determine the culprit. It was Views!

  5. Checked for anyone else getting this error. No one else is having this problem. I suspect one (or more) of my Views is causing this. I have 2 views that have 30 or more block/page displays assigned to them. I wonder if there's a limit to how many displays you can assign per view.

Anyways, when I disabled the Views module the following happened:

  • All of my Views blocks got disabled and I had to reconfigure and reorder them by hand. We're talking over 60 blocks here, folks.

  • All the the Views permissions got disabled. It took me quite awhile to figure this out because I incorrectly surmised the only symptom was the Views displayed differed by browser. Actually, it differed by login...

And after all that, I still get the error message. Sigh.

UPDATE (7/8/09): After all of this, the error seems to only be appearing in Firefox when I try to configure blocks. That's an improvement...

No comments: