Needless to say, it's very annoying as it slows down an already slow process. I can choose either option and the page loads fine, so I guess it could be worse.
Here's what I did to troubleshoot the issue and the insanity that ensued:
- Upgraded to Drupal 6.13 and upgraded all modules to the most recent version. This went very smoothly, but didn't fix the issue
- Changed theme to default to see if the theme was responsible. Nope.
- Disabled ALL contributed modules to see if this removed the error. Yes. So I knew it was a contributed module that did this.
- Re-enabled contributed modules one by one to determine the culprit. It was Views!
- Checked drupal.org for anyone else getting this error. No one else is having this problem. I suspect one (or more) of my Views is causing this. I have 2 views that have 30 or more block/page displays assigned to them. I wonder if there's a limit to how many displays you can assign per view.
Anyways, when I disabled the Views module the following happened:
- All of my Views blocks got disabled and I had to reconfigure and reorder them by hand. We're talking over 60 blocks here, folks.
- All the the Views permissions got disabled. It took me quite awhile to figure this out because I incorrectly surmised the only symptom was the Views displayed differed by browser. Actually, it differed by login...
And after all that, I still get the error message. Sigh.
UPDATE (7/8/09): After all of this, the error seems to only be appearing in Firefox when I try to configure blocks. That's an improvement...