Thursday, June 25, 2009

Subject Guides: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

I presented the current new website to PPLD's Management Team this past Monday. They were very happy with it, except for one concern. When I was showing the Subject Guides, someone mentioned that having the tabbed menus above the header made it difficult to figure out the tabbed menus were actually for each subject guide. At first I was skeptical, but I checked with a few other staff and they were confused by that as well.

The problem here is that I was using Page Views with arguments for the subject guides and couldn't insert the tabbed menu below the header and above the content (that I know of, anyways). So in order to fix this issue, I had to completely redo the subject guides from scratch.

Phase 1:

  1. Made Block Displays for each subject guide category in Databases View

  2. Cloned Databases View to make Recommended Websites View

  3. Made changes as needed in Recommended Websites View



Phase 2:

  1. Created a Page for each category and category type

  2. Assigned these pages to their corresponding Blocks

  3. Changed pages in corresponding tabbed menu blocks

  4. Added pages to Research subnav block and removed old page links

  5. Assigned Blocks to proper region and lined them up appropriately

  6. Changed links in corresponding tabbed menus

  7. Changed links in Subject Guide page



Aside from a few exceptions, this ended up working pretty well. I hope this is the last time I have to do this...

No comments: