Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Subject Guides, the Final Showdown

Finally, with help from Growing Venture Solutions (GVS), I figured out how to get my subject guide menus to tab. Here's what I did:

  1. Go to any page content type, log in as admin, and use FireBug to track down the style for the edit tabs. In this case, it was the "ul.primary" classes in tabs.css of the Zen theme.

  2. Go to a subject guide and using FireBug narrow down the specific class of the menu style. In this case, I decided to use the ".region-content_top .menu" classes, as all my menus were in the Content Top region and no non-tabbed menus are utilized in that region.

  3. Copy the "ul.primary" classes from tabs.css and paste into your custom theme's main css file. Substitute ".region-content_top .menu" for "ul.primary" and update other sub-classes as necessary.

  4. Copy tab images from Zen/images directory and paste in custom theme's image directory.


This sounds easier than it was to actually accomplish. It definitely took some trial and error on my part to settle everything down, especially with the sub-classes. It's still not perfect, but I pretty happy with the results for the time being.

Now on to the "How Do I?" pull-down menu!

No comments: